Withrow Archaeological Site

As long as 4 000 years ago this sandy knoll was the location of campsites for generations of native people. It provided an excellent lookout over the Don River Valley for observing game. Here, small family groups probably lived in skin tents during hunting seasons. Lost for many years, the site was uncovered by workers digging a roadbed in 1886. The discovery aroused great public interest and Ontario’s first professional archaeologist, David Boyle, conducted excavations. Only a small number of artifacts exist from the now destroyed encampments. Of the many native sites in the city Withrow is one of the few for which we have archaeological evidence. Toronto Historical Board 1988

This entry was posted in Plaques. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.