Tag Archives: Toronto’s Stories

Cathedral of St. Alban-the-Martyr

In 2014, Heritage Toronto installed two plaques at Royal St. George’s College. One commemorates the Cathedral of St. Alban-the-Martyr, used today by the school as a chapel, while the other recognizes the heritage value of See House, the Bishop’s residence, … Continue reading

Posted in Plaques, Stories, Toronto's Stories | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Cathedral of St. Alban-the-Martyr

From Brewing to Horsebreeding: E. P. Taylor and Windfields Estate

Wes Farris  In 1936, businessman Edward Plunkett ‘E. P.’ Taylor (1901-1989) commissioned the construction of Windfields Estate, which would serve as the Taylor family home in Toronto for the next fifty years. By the 1950s, Taylor was, in the words … Continue reading

Posted in Plaques, Toronto's Stories | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on From Brewing to Horsebreeding: E. P. Taylor and Windfields Estate

125 Years of the Queen City Yacht Club

Join Heritage Toronto and the Queen City Yacht Club on June 7 for a plaque presentation and celebration of the Queen City Yacht Club’s 125th anniversary! By Jamie Bradburn For an organization with long ties to the Toronto Islands, it … Continue reading

Posted in Plaques, Toronto's Stories | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on 125 Years of the Queen City Yacht Club

The House That Maclean’s Built

Join Heritage Toronto on May 12, 2014 for a plaque presentation commemorating the Maclean House at 7 Austin Terrace. RSVP here. By Kaitlin Wainwright When John B. Maclean commissioned architect John Lyle to design his estate in 1910, he probably … Continue reading

Posted in Plaques, Stories | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on The House That Maclean’s Built

Stop Spadina: Save Our City

There are three plaques at this site, commemorating the Spadina Expressway and its cancellation. In the 1960s this stretch of Spadina Road was to be transformed into the southern end of a sunken four- to six-lane expressway and a subway … Continue reading

Posted in Plaques | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Stop Spadina: Save Our City

139-145 Front Street East: Davies Meat Packing

In 1867 William Davies built a two-storey brick building here and established the first large meat-packing house in Toronto. J. & J. Taylor Safeworks purchased the building in 1871 and as the business flourished added two storeys and an addition … Continue reading

Posted in Plaques | Tagged , , | Comments Off on 139-145 Front Street East: Davies Meat Packing

Avenue Road Church

Built in 1899 as the Presbyterian Church of the Covenant this church was designed by architects Gordon and Helliwell. The bold use of white Kingston limestone makes the building a significant landmark. In 1925 it became the Avenue Road United … Continue reading

Posted in Plaques | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Avenue Road Church

Athenaeum Club

The Athenaeum Club 1891 Built for the Athenaeum Club this facade was designed by the architectural firm Denison and King in a Moorish Revival style rare in Toronto. It features intricate brickwork several Moorish window arches and in the balcony … Continue reading

Posted in Plaques | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Athenaeum Club

Arena Gardens

On this site the Arena Gardens at the time Canada’s largest indoor facility opened 7 October 1912. It became the new home of Toronto’s first professional hockey team the Toronto Arenas later named the Toronto Maple Leafs. Besides hockey other … Continue reading

Posted in Plaques | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Arena Gardens

Lahore Tikka House: The Journey

[لاہور تکہ ہاؤس ایک سفر] Written by Humaira Saeed Pakistanis have been migrating to Toronto since the 1950s. Many of them were determined to maintain the Urdu language or establish religious organizations here in Toronto, while others, like Alnoor Sayani, … Continue reading

Posted in Heritage Diversity Stories | Tagged , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Lahore Tikka House: The Journey