2013 Heritage Toronto Awards Nominee
Spadina Historic House and Gardens
285 Spadina Road
Commissioned by: Museum Services, City of Toronto
Architectural/Design Firm: George Robb Architect
Constructed for the Austin family in 1866, “Spadina” had been altered and expanded several times before being acquired by the Ontario Heritage Trust and the City of Toronto, restored, and opened in 1984 as a museum. Completed between 2010-2012, this project involved the comprehensive re-restoration of the interior to harmonize the period of interpretation of all the museum rooms to the 1920s and 1930s. The project drew on detailed documentation of the house from that period, and included restoration of woodwork, wood floors, linoleum floors, wallpaper, paint, plaster cornices and medallions, glass work, and the re-creation of the servant quarters on the third floor.