2018 William Greer Architectural Conservation & Craftsmanship Nominees

This category recognizes building owners who have undertaken projects to conserve or adapt a history building or architectural feature of a historic building within the municipal boundaries of the city of Toronto.

The 2018 nominees are:


Original building completed: 1880

Conservation work completed: 2016

Building Owner:
Humber College

Architectural Firm:
Moriyama & Teshima Architects

Heritage Consultant:
Goldsmith Borgal and Company Ltd.

Humber College, Building ‘G’

17 Colonel Samuel Smith Park

Building ‘G’ on Humber’s Lakeshore Campus is the last historic cottage on the property to be restored from the former Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital site. The design and conservation team collaborated to rehabilitate the former administrative building into a bright, accessible, and sustainable multipurpose space.

Built in the Gothic and Romanesque style, Building ‘G’ is now the Humber College’s new Centre for Entrepreneurship. During the repurposing of the building it was important to optimize the structure’s functional programming, while preserving its original exterior envelope and providing maximum exposure of the building’s historical elements.


Original building completed: 1867

Conservation work completed: 2017

Building Owner: The Keg Steakhouse and Bar

Craftsperson: Vitreous Glassworks

Keg Mansion

515 Jarvis Street

The Keg Mansion, originally built by Arthur McMaster, is a longstanding example of successful adaptive reuse. With both the exterior and interior largely intact, the restaurant provides access to the public to experience dining in the former Massey home of one of Canada’s most famous families. One of the main features of the home is the large stained-glass laylight.

In 2016, an accident occurred where the majority of the laylight was destroyed. The restoration team used traditional techniques such as silver staining and handmade glass to recreate the work. Through a series of tests a process was developed to replicate the various glass treatments utilized in the original.

Original building completed: 1877

Conservation work completed: 2016

Building Owner:
Gregory Vitale

Architectural Firm:
Shahriar Izadi – Solutions Design Group Inc.

The Mary Perram House

4 Wellesley Place

The Mary Perram House, now a private residence, was once occupied by Ms. Perram and her 4 sons, and was later the home of Frederick Laws, Secretary to the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario. As well, the home was used as a hospice in 1923–1950 for immigrant women, and a facility for Princess Margaret Hospital in the 1970s.

The main focus of the project was to maintain the prestige and architectural features of the home, including the hand-laid marble fireplaces and original hard wood flooring, while respecting the character and building structure.

Original building completed: 1907, extension 1926

Conservation work completed: 2017

Building Owner:
Jeff McLeod, Director of WE GLC

Architectural firm:
Philip Goldsmith Heritage Architect, Kohn Partnership Architects Inc.

Craftsperson:
TriAxis Construction Ltd

WE Global Learning Centre

339 Queen East Street

The WE Global Learning Centre was designed by the successful Toronto architect Henry Simpson. The defining characteristics of this Chicago Style building includes steel, with a post and beam structure with extensive glazing on the lower levels and masonry cladding on the upper levels.

The building was restored to its original brick and wood façade with stone masonry detailing. As well, the conservation team updated the interior elements to respect the history of the building by retaining the original exterior, inside of the restored extension.


Original building completed: 1875

Conservation work completed: 2017

Building Owner:
Lisa McDonald, Casey House

Architectural Firm:
Hariri Pontarini Architects

Heritage Consultants:
ERA Architects

Craftsperson:
Clifford Restoration Ltd.

William R. Johnston House (Casey House)

119 Isabella Street

The William R. Johnston House, originally designed by Langley, Langley, and Burke, is currently being used as a sub-acute hospital for AIDS-HIV patients by the Casey House Hospice organization.

The original exterior has been preserved, including a hybrid scheme using both brick and red Credit Valley sandstone on the elevation’s façade and trim rising from a stone foundation. Alterations to the Billiard Room, windows, and flooring throughout the home was required for barrier-free access to the new facility.