Poulton Block

1885

This prominent building was constructed for William B. Poulton, a painter and a Mason, primarily for use by the Masonic Orient Lodge. The block was designed by Kennedy Gaviller & Holland Architects in Gothic Revival style. Early occupants of the ground-floor shops included a druggist and a bank. The third floor, marked by Moorish window arches, served as ‘Orient Hall’ until 1912. From 1888 to 1910 the Toronto Public Library’s ‘Eastern Branch’ its first branch east of the Don River was located in rooms at the back of the building. Erected with support from the Riverdale Historical Society. City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties

This entry was posted in Plaques and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.