Owen Staples House and Studio

This house was designed by Owen Staples with artist and friend C.W. Jefferys as a studio and home for Staples and his family. Born in England in 1866 and arriving in Toronto as a child, Staples became a well-known artist as well as cartoonist and long-time illustrator for John Ross Robertson and his Evening Telegram. Staples’ vast body of work, rich with historical illustrations of Toronto, is now preserved in major public and private collections. Also a member for 55 years of the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir, Staples was a vital part of Toronto’s arts community and shared its interest in the Arts and Crafts movement – reflected in the design of his home. Constructed by C.W. Jefferys’ father from assorted Don Valley brick (assembled from rejected stock) this house is defined by a double-height ‘great room’ that served as both studio and living area. Well-lit by the front windows and warmed by an inglenook fireplace the room was a favourite gathering place for a lively cross-section of Toronto society. Owen Staples died in 1949. Erected with support from the Riverdale Historical Society

This entry was posted in Plaques and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.