Join Heritage Toronto and Councillor Josh Colle as we celebrate the history of Fairbank Village with two historical plaques and the opening of the new Dufferin Hill Park.
Fairbank, 1911. View is looking north from Rochdale Avenue. Harvie Avenue is on left. Nairn Avenue is on right. Rowntree Creek runs through centre of photograph. Prospect Cemetery is at upper left. City of Toronto Archives
The village of Fairbank, named after the farm of settler Matthew Parsons, was founded in the early 19th century on land that was included in the 1805 Toronto Purchase treaty between the Mississaugas of the Credit River and the British Crown. The once-rural community on the old Belt Line Railway developed around the present-day intersection of Dufferin and Eglinton and became part of the City of Toronto in 1998 with amalgamation.
Dufferin Hill Park is situated on the site of the former Fairbank School Section 15 (later the Briar Hill Public School). The park was the site of a school for 184 years and a stone from an 1863 brick schoolhouse is now part of the design of this park.