CNE Bandshell

The Bandshell was dedicated by Toronto Mayor Sam McBride and the Lord Mayor of London Sir Percy Vincent at the opening of the Canadian National Exhibition 28 August 1936. The Kneller Hall Band of England and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra highlighted the inaugural program. Designed by architects Craig and Madill in the manner of the Hollywood Bowl the Art Deco Bandshell was long the most up-to-date structure at the CNE. Over the years its outstanding acoustics and mood lighting effects have helped to attract international military and concert bands world-famed opera and popular performers and audiences in the thousands. The Bandshell is the location for the CNE opening and closing ceremonies. Toronto Historical Board 1988

This entry was posted in Plaques and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.